Monday, January 11, 2010

Today we spent the morning at University of Alabama-Birmingham. At the University Professor Pamela King and Professor Horace Huntley talked about Civil Rights from the southern perspective. They talked mostly about if there are racial problems today. It seems to me that ones idea of predjuice depends on their own personal experiences. I really enjoyed meeting the Professor who wrote the book about the people who were in the trenchs of the Civil Rights Movement. We then went to the Rosa Parks Museum in Montomery and we learned about the bus boycott and how Rosa Parks started it. I saw Rosa on the bus and how she refused to give up her seat. I would never have had the courage to do something like that. After all of that we ate dinner and went back to the hotel. More insight tommorrow.

3 comments:

Susan Huston said...

Hi Anika-
I loved what you said about prejudice depending on one's own personal experiences. I'm sure there are a lot of stories that kids could tell about times they felt that someone was being prejudiced against them. I always love the innocence of really young kids, like my son who is six. They don't judge each other yet; they just play. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world could learn a lesson from six-year-olds?

Anika Reinsch said...

Your right. It was the children who really made the Civil Rights Movement successful.

Anonymous said...

Did Rosa Parks go to jail? If she did how long was she in jail? PZ