Sunday, January 10, 2010

HI - Sunday night - what a day. Things started at the Ebenezer Baptist Church - an experience like none other. Ended with the Sr. pastor blessing everyone there with a laying on of hands. We then got to tour Martin Luther King Historical Sites and then on to Birmingham for the most impressive visit -- the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. Many people who were the same age as DeLong Middle School students marched and were very active in the Civil Rights Movement. They had firehoses and attack dogs turned on them. I just wonder how many of our students would be able to accept such a challenge. Our four DeLong students are doing very well on the trip.

2 comments:

jona.way said...

Hey Kim - just catching up on your blog. It sounds like such an incredible trip. I am sure the girls are starting to appreciate the scope of what they are seeing.

I hope the weather is warming up - today in Calgary it will be 55 degrees F - probably warmer than the deep south according to the reports.

Keep on posting and we will keep reading!

Jona

P.S. - I got the swim caps today - one was out of the box and is scuffed up a bit - hope Emily doesn't mind - maybe that can be her practice cap!

Anonymous said...

I bet you really are having a blast I wish I could go to all the places you all are going tell every one I said hi. then when you were saying about how many delong middle school students would be brave enought to march I would be one of them.